Friday, September 10, 2010

Words on married life. By Mrs. Lillian Miller

After retrieving some fried apple pies that needed a new home from my grandmothers today, she showed me her latest writing assignment. A young couple from her church have recently been married, and the groom's mother decided to compile a diary of women discussing the early part of their marriages. My grandmother was chosen as one of the participants.

I have to preface this by saying my grandmother is the most precious thing in my life. She has been the best mother, grandmother, and friend. To have her in your life is a blessing beyond words. Her words are simple yet should not be taken lightly. She knows the meaning of a life of faithful devotion to one man, no matter what may have stood in the way.

"It is so good to have a happy married life. We married so young and did not have anything except our clothes to wear. We didn’t think anything about it. My husband had just gotten out of service, World War II, and he came home and put out a crop that year. He said we couldn’t move out until he got his wheat crop out. When he was in the fields working, I was busy at the house setting his mothers old setting hens. In the fall of the year there was a little two room house down the road that became empty so we got that to move into. It was a mansion to us. His dad gave him a cow and calf and I had about 30 little chickens and his mother gave me the old mother hen and said I had about starved her to death. I set her 2 times to get all my little chickens. I was busy making him cakes and candy to eat all the time. You know, we need to do things to make each other happy. He would say “This is good,”but he would go to the door and throw it out. But he told me later on in our years he threw it out to the old dog and he wouldn’t even eat it.

We lived together 62 years and raised 5 children and they said they never knew that we were poor. We stayed too busy. The Lord called him home July 5th, 2007 after staying in the hospital about 24 hours."


Lillian Miller is the proud matriarch of a family of 5 children, 12 grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren. I am the next to youngest grandchild and have enjoyed every single second I have spent with my "Grannie." I intend to raise a family according to her standards of how a family should be ran.

No comments: