Friday, March 20, 2009

In connection to yesterday's post.

For some reason I make time for my online components. Of course, I have my trusty Blogger account. I also hold accounts with Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace, and the newly acquired Twitter. Alex says I am rediculous with all the "connecting" I do but in reality each one serves a different purpose in my life.

I would have to name Facebook as my overall favorite of all my accounts simply because I connect with friends and family most through it. Granted, Facebook has taken a huge swing in the past 2 weeks, and I'm not fully appreciating the "new look" that everyone is protesting. But still, the fact remains that through Facebook, most everyone uses their actual name and the information of where they live or where they went to high school, college, etc. in order to facilitate finding them.

I had a conversation with someone recently who said "I have this facebook thing, but I really don't want to connect with people." I told him to simply delete his facebook because that totally goes against the purpose of having one in the first place. Facebook isn't for everyone, and I think this dude was a total goob for thinking his anti-social self would magically do a 180 and suddenly want to connect.

My second favorite (starting this morning with its inception) is Twitter. It's been highly publicized as the new "it" website, and I totally agree. This is my website to connect with those people I will probably never meet. True, I'm not really connecting with people such as John Mayer or Lance Armstrong, but instead taking a look through the peep hole at their lives. Twitter is a no frills, no complex applications website such as Facebook. All you do is simply update your status whenever you feel the need, and whoever is "following" you will see it. I'm excited to see where this website will go in the future.

MySpace is my strange side. I don't check on it much, I would say I have only around 140 friends (small number really), and to be perfectly honest, I'm tired of it. I get random friend requests from people who would be the Webster definition of creepy, half the time I find myself criticizing my background more than actually looking at people's profiles, and not alot of my people update too often. So yeah, MySpace is on the downward slope for me.

LinkedIn is simply just what it is. A professional networking site that I really don't need to have yet, but hey, networking never hurts. I won't say much about this since I haven't even logged in for about 4 months now.

Stay sure that I love my Blogger. Love is not even the right word for it. I will have to make one up for it I guess.

Are you connected?

1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

I have facebook which I love and twitter but I'm not sure if I should keep it or not. I like being able to read other people's tweets, but I don't think I have updated mine in at least a month. I just got weirded out when all sorts of people I didn't know started following me. Maybe if they had told me it was because they read my blog or because we had a similar interest it wouldn't seem odd, but they never said anything.