Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Looking into my heritage

Karabeth, when I started thinking about this subject, I automatically thought of you and your zest for all things genealogy. It made me smile.

The Gilbert family is very lucky to have a close family friend who has taken the great task of compiling our family tree. Near the end of my grandmother's time on earth last year, she trusted our family's genealogy paperwork to my Aunt Teela, who then passed it off to her best friend and roommate Jackie for more research. Before my grandmother passed away, I was able to steal a few moments to look at this valuable information. Turns out, our family settled in Jackson, Tennessee after an ancestor who fought in the War of 1812 was given land in return for his time spent in war. Before that, I believe we were settled in the Virginia area. How amazing to see where my ancestors came from!

So from here, I'm eager to find out exactly how long my family has been in the "New World." I'm excited to fill out my Daughters of the American Revolution membership form and claim my heritage. It's like looking into the past and knowing that there's a reason I'm in Tennessee, in the Southeast, in the United States!

Where are you from?

1 comment:

Kimberly Pitman said...

Yep! Right up my alley!

What's the name of your Revolutionary War patriot ancestor? I can look it up to see if anyone else has already joined using him/her as their patriot. It sure shortens the process (said a former DAR chapter registrar). It is so much easier to fill out paperwork when there are fewer generations that you have to prove for yourself, but I'm sure a local DAR registrar told you that already. :)