Friday, April 24, 2009

I learned from this man!

Imre Lagler was a Hungarian force to be reckoned with. He was a cantankerous man, but he had a past that he could amaze anyone with. Escaping communist Hungary, immigrating to the United States, and finally settling down in Bell Buckle, Tennessee of all places.

My brother adored him. When I was his student, I feared him. Not because he was mean, but because I knew that he expected much out of me, and I didnt know if I could fill the shoes he laid before me. He was a man of many words, many funny words at that. He had special ways to inflict little silly punishments for our small offenses such as talking in class. When he was done with our foolishness, he would simply just tell us to get out of his sight, which meant sit outside the class and be sure youre sitting right there when the bell rings. He wouldn't tell anybody of higher authority if you werent sitting there, but you better hope the rotating schedule meant you didnt have his class the next day.

He was political, sometimes close-minded, always argumentative, and competitive in every sense of the word. But at the same time he loved teaching and he loved talking to students. Here's to you Imre!

http://www.boomeradventurestv.com/lagler.html - A video tribute made by a Webb School alumni featuring one of my favorite teachers, Mr. L.R. Smith and also an alumni that graduated the last year that I attended Webb.

No comments: