Monday, October 27, 2008

Are we really there yet?

This weekend was the wedding of my good friend Lindsay to the love of her life, Marco. It was in the beautiful Bell Buckle First Methodists Church in Bell Buckle, TN, which is where I went to the Webb School for 2 years. Talk about a walk down memory lane!

Heres a picture of me and the beautiful bride!



Also, a picture of the groom's cake which had a strange attraction to the floor.



Aside from the bi-lingual ceremony (the groom is from Mexico) and a multi-tiered grooms cake (arent they supposed to be sheet cakes), all I could wonder is: Am I seriously at that point in my life where all my friends are getting married?

My best friend got married at 19, but they opted for just the courthouse and not the big wedding hooplah and now own their own house. Other friends have opted the same, and regretfully some of them have already been through a divorce court. Many of my friends are newly engaged, and I am really excited for them. I myself have been engaged once upon a time, but everyone who knew that relationship knew that I did the right thing by ending it.

But truly, are we ready for life at that capacity? Are we ever ready for married life? I can clean a house, cook a few mean dishes, and probably even draw up a budget if held to a fire, but do we know what it takes to make a marriage anymore?

I know that it consists of much love, understanding, and knowing when to back down or stand up. It also consists of a relationship with the higher power and knowing that to truly be a success at anything, you must be able to trust that He will lead you down the right path. Maybe He's been leading me to Alex, maybe He's letting me learn what a healthy relationship is before leading me on to the one who will be my husband. Maybe we need to start waiting for God to lead us to our future rather than take it in our own hands and end up making a huge mistake.

Maybe I have been doing it right all along.

1 comment:

Kimberly Pitman said...

Hi Allyson!

I enjoyed reading of your weekend and seeing the pictures. And I love that you included place names. It has been so long since I've read about Bell Buckle and the Webb School. (That groom's cake looked interesting. :)

You are a wise woman, Allyson, for waiting for God's leading. I don't know the story of your broken engagement, but just knowing you experienced one tells me that you don't want to do something just because everyone else does.

I will pray for you as both you and Alex make your decisions. It really does take 3 to make a good marriage: your loving Heavenly Father, and two people who will listen to His advice.

Best wishes (and I hope your piece of cake came from the table!)